Friday, February 6, 2009

What do you Google?

A while ago I placed a free counter on our blog and I discovered that it could tell me all sorts of neat stuff about what kind of traffic comes to our site. One of my favorite features is the report I can get of keyword searches and search engines that lead people to our site. Not surprisingly, an occasional search for my name or Blair's name or our names together brings up a link to our blog. But I was pretty surprised and amused to find that we get more hits for a different line of keywords: halitosis nose, halitosis from nose, garbage halitosis, weird smell in nose and mouth, halitosis coming from nose, strange smell in nose, odor busting toothpaste, garbage smell through nose for a long time...
Well, you get the picture. These search terms typed into google inevitably lead to our blog and to a post I wrote last year. And as a follow up to that halitosis post, let me just say that my nose is back to normal now. 

We get several hits a week from these types of search terms. I had no idea so many people had this problem and I'm not so sure they'll find answers to their problem on our blog. But it sure does make me think more about what I google. What do you google? (And is that really a verb? Just asking...)

2 comments:

Danika said...

I put WikiHow on my iGoogle home page and not it's my go-to source for pretty much anything. I tried it for how to unclog potato peels from your sink and more recently how to spot a liar. They also had one on how to cook food in your hotel room using the iron and coffee maker. I was a little grossed out by that one.

Emily said...

ok, I want your counter. Mine is lame. Also, even though only four people have voted on your flossing poll, I don't believe that 50% of those people floss at least once a day. They're totally lying. Only dentists floss everyday, and I bet some of them only do it every other day.