Thursday, February 21, 2013

Disney Surprise

In January my brother brought his family out to Disney World. We decided to take advantage of Disney's great deal for Florida residents and took a trip up to hang out with them for a few days. Ella has been asking to go back to Disney World for a long time, so we decided to surprise her. I had about 2 days to come up with an idea, so I turned my wheels fast.

I decided I could easily and quickly make a minnie mouse shirt that she would like, but decided it needed something on the bottom to make it a complete outfit. So, I found a link on Pinterest to this tutorial on Grand Revival Design for making a ruffle skirt. Ella prefers to wear skirts--especially if they have ruffles or sparkles, so I thought this would be perfect for her. A quick trip to Jo-Ann for some fabric and ribbon and one trip to Wal-Mart for a cheap T-shirt, and I was ready to go. The process was fairly easy (thank goodness, since I'm still a novice seamstress) and I loved the results!





I made the outfit the evening before were were going to leave for Orlando. The next day, when Blair got home from work, we sat Ella down and I told her I had made something special for her because she is so special to me. Then I gave her the outfit. She was thrilled to have a new outfit and wanted to put it right on. I asked her if she'd like to wear it to the place where Minnie Mouse lives and she nodded with her big smile. She figured out that Minnie Mouse lives at Disney World and we were going to take a trip there. She got a big smile and gave me a big hug. Ella has never been one to bounce off the walls with excitement, so I wasn't surprised with her reserved reaction. I could still tell that she was really pleased and excited. I'd say the surprise was a success!

No comments: