Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Chair


Before Ella was born I mentioned this chair in a post. Blair teased me because I was in love with the chair. I wasn't in love with the chair because it's pretty (it's not) or super comfortable (though it is) or even because it rocks and swivels (fantastic!). I was in love with the chair because it was symbolic of impending motherhood. Well, motherhood came and now I'm living it. And I still love the chair. In fact, I love it even more than before. Sitting in that chair I feel some of my happiest feelings. There I rock Ella, sing to her, feed her, burp her, or just cuddle her. It doesn't matter what I'm doing; when I'm in that chair my world is Ella. Unless Blair is there and he gives me that look. No, not the look that says he's amused I'm in love with an ugly pea green chair that squeaks. It's the look that says he adores me and loves me even more when he sees me caring for our daughter. It makes me melt every time. This chair is definitely my happy place. 

6 comments:

Brent said...

Pot? Kettle? Black? Blair's harassing you about a green chair? If memory serves (and it DOES) Blair had his own chair brought down especially from Weber State. I don't want to say it was ugly, but that thing fell out of an ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down and finally sunk in a puddle of ugly mud at the bottom. I think it's great you have a chair that irritates Blair and Danika agrees. We'll call it the Blair chair from now on!

Katrina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blair said...

Hold on now. I have never "harassed" her about the chair. Even if it was a pretty chair, I would still be amused by Kate's obsession with the chair. I have no problem with ugly furniture if my wife is okay with it. (chances are, she'll find it uglier than I do) I think calling it the Blair chair would be quite inaccurate. It does not annoy me, and I hardly ever use it.

tracyp said...

Katrina, I think it's lovely what the chair symbolizes to you. Motherhood suites you so well.

russia boy said...

Green chairs must run in the family! I remember Blair's Oscar in college! It was right up there with the pansy van :) I have learned however, that the uglier it is, the more comfortable it is. My grandpa gave our family the ugliest brown and orange flowered velvet couch... ya, it's as ugly as you are imagining, but I have never, ever sat in a more comfortable spot! Enjoy your chair!

Emily said...

To be honest, I want a chair exactly like that when I have kids. :) I wouldn't even mind the color....