Saturday, August 9, 2008

This Old House

We took a little road trip last week. Ella and I left Tuesday with my mom to drive to Meridian, ID (just outside of Boise). Ella did great--we had an uneventful drive and I enjoyed the time with my mom. Blair drove up on Thursday night after work and we all stayed until Sunday when Blair and I took Ella and came back home. So why did we go? To see my mom's new house and help her get moved in. Yep, she finally did it. She bought a house in Boise. It's beautiful and I'm happy that she'll be able to settle in and put down new roots. It has been very painful for her to pull up her old roots. After over 35 years of living in St. Louis (in the house pictured above--the garage door is up)  she has decided to say goodbye. I didn't think I would feel sad about saying goodbye to my childhood home but it hit me a few days ago that I won't ever "go home" to this house again.  

Here's a view of the back. It has been a good house. And because I'm feeling sentimental I wanted to write down some of my favorite memories from this house. 
I remember:

*Sledding down the back yard hill that seemed HUGE when I was 4
*Getting stuck sitting on the swinging bar on the backyard swing set--I couldn't figure out how to get down.
*Wrapping a blanket around me and using it to trap heat from a floor vent while I read a good book
*Picking magnolia blossoms from the beautiful tree in the backyard and giving them to my mom. She always acted thrilled no matter how many I gave her in a day. 
*Getting my hands and arms and legs all sticky from climbing the huge pine tree in the front yard. My brother and I would dare each other to go higher.
*Looking out the window just in time to see the top 1/3 of the huge pine tree roll across our front yard as a tornado flew over our house. I was 15 and home alone at the time--I grabbed our dog and flew downstairs to the basement until it was over.
*Planting flowers for my mom in the front yard planter box for Mother's Day
*Setting the dining room table with the nice china and flatware for birthdays, holidays, and special occasions
*Cooking on a hot plate balanced on a saw horse during our kitchen expansion/remodel
*Taking my last picture with my dad on our front porch

Some of these could have happened in any old house--but they happened in my old house and that's what makes them so special to me. And though I've physically said goodbye to 1480 Chandellay Dr., it will always be an important part of my life. 


5 comments:

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

I am sad too. I was at the house yesterday with every room empty. Empty of furniture that is. It was full of wonderful memories and laughter. At least I can drive by once in awhile. Let's all pray for a buyer that is worthy of this fine house.

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

I enjoyed reading your memories. But I can't believe that you climbed a pine tree. That sounds prickly!

Jenn and Greg said...

What a great entry to your blog. I was touched to read of your memories and your attachment to your childhood home. You are blessed to have beautiful memories and even more blessed to have wonderful parents who made those memories possible. Now you can do the same for your kids. And I know you'll do a great job, too!

Jenn

Kent S Larsen said...

Kate: Thank you for sharing your childhood memories in the house that now will belong to others. I am so grateful for you and your marvelous impact on Blair and his family. Your beautiful darling offspring is a credit to you both. The Lord has truly blessed you. Your father and Blair's mother are watching with love and satisfaction. I am so looking forward to holding Ella in my hands and for you to meet Norma. It won't be long now. Love, Dad

Unknown said...

Wow, I was surprised at how many memories came back to me when I read this...too many to list here...I am sad, too.