Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Embracing Motherhood

I have been thinking lately about how much my life has changed thanks to our new little addition. I've experienced a huge range of emotions and sensations as a mother--and I couldn't be happier. I think I've embraced this role pretty well. There are plenty of signs that can tell you whether or not you have embraced motherhood. 

You know you've embraced motherhood when:

*You talk to your baby in the third person--"mommy loves you so much!" 
*You look at the sweat pants you wore yesterday and think, "She only spit up on these twice. I can still wear them."
*You're actually happy when you get four hours of sleep in a row.
*You learn to do everything one handed--even typing.
*Your daily shower is now a luxury instead of a necessity.
*You suddenly think the noises of bodily functions are adorable.
*You wonder how such a tiny person could create so much laundry.
*An angry howl wakes you up at 3:00 in the morning and as soon as you pick up your squirming baby with the angry face all you can think is, "you are so wonderful and I would do anything for you."
*You wouldn't trade motherhood for all the showers and sleep in the world. 

Here are some more pictures of Ella (at three weeks old). A big thank you to Annette, my sister in law, who took these pictures for us--I'm so thrilled to have nice pictures of us together. 










4 comments:

Unknown said...

love these!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

Your list of things about motherhood me want to cry! They are so precious. The pictures are adorable too.

Mel said...

so true! being a mommy sure changes EVERYTHING!!! LOVE the pics!

The Wanbergs said...

I absolutely love your pictures! They're perfect! You are so right about the initiation into motherhood. Don't worry, life will eventually balance out again, and you will once again get to sleep "normal" hours. It just takes some time.