Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Job


In the second week of January Blair received a job offer from Broward County, FL! He has been searching and interviewing since before he graduated last April so we were really relieved to find this job. (For the record, he did have an offer elsewhere this past summer but after some thinking and praying we didn't feel like it would be a good fit for us, so he turned it down and kept looking.)

Blair accepted the Florida job and then we went to work looking for housing and trying to become acquainted with the area from over 2,000 miles away. After many hours of research we decided to rent an apartment without looking in person. It was a risky decision but we felt like things would work out just fine. With housing squared away we set to work sorting through our belongings and packing stuff up. We had four weeks from the time the offer was extended to the start date, and with 4-5 days of driving the moving truck that gave us just three weeks to tie up loose ends and get packed.

As a side note, I really like that Florida's seal states, "In God we trust." That sums up very well the last 10 months of job hunting and will be our family motto for the next several months as we move to a completely unfamiliar place where we know no one.

Blair and I never, ever pictured ourselves in Florida. I've only ever been to one ocean beach in my life--and it was so cold I wore a sweatshirt the whole time and barely got my toes wet. I'm excited to experience a warm beach and glad that Ella will get to enjoy that, too. Blair's job will be a great start for his career and we think we'll really like it in Florida. The first adventure we'll plan will be driving down the Florida Keys all the way to Key West. It should be great! We'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

tracyp said...

Congrats!!! I hope the Larsen clan can handle one of their own outside of the west... You'll love the beaches in the summer, spring and fall...

Greg Swensen said...

Congratulations on your new job! I'm excited to see what you think of Florida! It's completely as far from Seattle as you get though :(. But maybe we'll come visit. I'm excited for you guys!
Love,
Shelly

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

Woohoo!! Good luck to you and your new adventures. That sounds like so much fun. I am sure you will love Florida. What city are you living in?

russia boy said...

I am glad to hear that everything is going well! I can't wait to see more pictures of the area and your nice tans :)

Kinzie Sue said...

No way! I grew up in Broward County! Plantation and Ft. Lauderdale to be exact! It is so fun living so close to the beach and we were there almost every single weekend! Best of luck on the move and transition. I'm so happy for you guys- congrats on this new job!

Sara said...

We're uber-sad you're not here any more for game nights, dinner, and delicious desserts! We also had fun watching Ella grow up these past few months...but you're living in Florida means we'll have to take a road trip to visit you and the beach!

Bettinson Bunch said...

My aunt lived in Ft. Lauderdale for several years, so I visited her a handful of times! I LOVE Florida! You'll love it, too!