Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Not Cool

The other day I was driving my 9 year old niece and her friend somewhere and they were asking me to scan through radio stations to find a good song. After 5 or 6 duds, I stumbled on Hotel California and said, "hey, this is a great song!" From the back seat there was an uncomfortable pause and then, in a voice heavy with annoyance my niece said, "my mom likes this song."
Well, I'm a mom. "Yeah, I guess moms like this song."

But everyone should like this song. It's a classic! It has an awesome guitar solo. It's melodic rock in its prime. Sure, it was written before I was born, but it's timeless! Or so I thought. I guess it's not cool to like this song anymore. Which means I'm not cool. Unless you think it's cool to know all the words to Hotel California. Then I stand corrected.

I didn't change the station. We listened to the whole thing and I sang every word.

1 comment:

russia boy said...

Good for you! It is always amazing to me the junk that kids listen to. My piano students' parents are always at a lose as to what to allow them to listen to that is "cool." I always hand them a Led Zepplin album. It is funny because the parents are usually apprehensive because they always thought Led was really bad until they realize just how many songs they love are written by them. I am hoping to make a small impact by re-introducing kids to "cool" again. Bring on the Van Halen, Led Heads, The Who, and YES!